Shortridge High School is an International Baccalurate school which emphasis international mindedness, intercultural understanding, and academic rigor. Our international travel mindset directly aligns with the IB mission of developing inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. Through international travel experiences, scholars will engage with the world first hand while navigating new situations, building self-confidence, and experiencing new cultures.
Class of 2020 – Belize Trip
The class of 2020 scholars have an incredible opportunity to travel to Panama in May/June of 2020. We are partnering with EF, a highly credible educational travel company, to provide a life-changing travel experience. For more informtation about our trip or to sign up to travel, visit our EF Tour page.
Class of 2019 – Panama Trip
The class of 2019 scholars have an incredible opportunity to travel to Panama in May/June of 2019. We are partnering with EF, a highly credible educational travel company, to provide a life-changing travel experience. For more information about our trip or to sign up to travel, visit our EF Tour page.
Class of 2018 – Costa Rica
The class of 2018 scholars had an incredible opportunity to travel to Costa Rica in May of 2018. We are partnered with EF, a highly credible educational travel company, to provide a life-changing travel experience to 25 seniors.
International Travel Opportunities and Resources
- African Leadership Academy: Global Scholars ProgramThe Global Scholars Program (GSP) at African Leadership Academy offers either a 10-day or three-week, intensive, African summer camp for a select group of secondary school students. Acceptance into the Global Scholars Program is competitive and there are limited spots available so you are encouraged to apply early. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.http://alasummer.org/apply/
- 2018 Chinese Bridge-Summer Camp for Indiana High School StudentsThe Chinese Bridge Summer Camp for U.S. High School Students is an annual Chinese language and culture experiencing activity sponsored by Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) with the cooperation of the Confucius Institutes/Classroom in U.S. The program aims at enhancing Sino-U.S. youth exchanges, deepening high school students’ understanding of and personal experience with Chinese language and culture. The participant doesn’t require prior Chinese language instruction. For more information, please visit the website below. http://www.iupui.edu/~china/courses/high-school-students/
- CASDesigned by IB teachers for IB students, CAS Trips are re-inventing the concept of educational travel. Engaging the International Baccalaureate’s 7 Learning Outcomes, CAS Trips not only introduces students to incredible new cultures but strives to develop conscientious young global citizens.http://www.castrips.org
- Fundraising IdeasThe link below provides over 40 fundraising ideas for students and student groups traveling internationally. https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/40-fundraising-ideas-study-abroad
- Go OverseasThis international travel and study broad search engine allows you to discover programs overseas to volunteer, teach, study, and more. You can read reviews and interviews to find the perfect fit. https://www.gooverseas.com/high-school-abroad
- Intercultural Exchange ProgramAs a YFU Youth Program participant, you’ll become a part of a host family, appreciate the nuances of a foreign language, and test your confidence in new situations. YFU’s study abroad programs transform who you are and permanently change the way you see the world.http://www.yfuusa.org/study/youth-programs/
- IU Honors Program in Foreign LanguageThis six-week summer international travel experience is available for students who have completed higher level language courses. This opportunity involves an extensive application process and language testing. http://iuhpfl.indiana.edu/apply/index.shtml
- NSLI for YouthThe National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) program was launched to promote critical language learning among American youth. The U.S. Department of State awards and administers merit-based scholarships to high school students for participation in summer and academic year immersion programs.http://www.nsliforyouth.org/how-to-apply/
- Passport InformationThe website below can be useful when helping your scholar apply for a passport. https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/apply.html
- Road ScholarshipThe ROAD Scholarship is available for students who are traveling internationally or studying abroad. The applicant criteria and application are available on the website below. http://sytayouthfoundation.org/road-scholarship
- Smithsonian Student AdventuresSSA programs are open to individual high school students (ages 14-18) who are interested in exploring the globe with students from across the country. SSA offers three types of programs: Cultural Journeys, Service Adventures, and Conservation Expeditions. https://smithsonianstudentadventures.com/highschool/
- Study Abroad Grants and ScholarshipsThe website below can be used as a resource when searching for study abroad grants and scholarships.https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/65-study-abroad-grants-and-scholarships
- The Experiment in International LivingThe Experiment in International Living is the nation’s most experienced and respected provider of international education and experiential learning for high school students. For 85 years, our summer study abroad programs have enabled students to explore the world in a personal, meaningful way, and to develop new, enduring friendships through hands-on cultural experiences and homestays in 28 countries. With specific themes to match student’s unique interests and passions, The Experiment believes in creating educational experiences that positively impact both students and the communities they visit.https://www.experiment.org/
- YES Abroad ProgramStudy aborad with the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study Abroad program, providing full scholarships to live with a host family and study in a local high school for an academic year. YES Abroad is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. http://www.yes-abroad.org/